Work has begun on highway improvements required to facilitate the development of the old Cattle Market to provide new homes. The work is due to begin in August and the plan is to complete the works by early 2014.
Why is the work necessary?
Development of the former site of the Cattle Market in Stratford adjacent to Stratford Station by Redrow Homes requires substantial road works funded by the developer.
- A new access to the development will be created off Alcester Road.
- In conjunction with these works, an alternative access to the station car park will be provided via Western Road. These works will be constructed in advance of the works on Alcester Road in order to maintain access to the station car park. The junction of Western Road and Birmingham Road will be signalised
- A new signal-controlled junction is to be provided on Alcester Road at approximately the same location as the existing junction with Station Road.
- The existing Station Road will become a paved pedestrian thoroughfare. Vehicle access to the new station car park will be provided from the new junction on Alcester Road through the new development.
- A new stairway will be constructed adjacent to the existing stairs linking Alcester Road to the Station.
How long will it take?
Work is due to start on the Birmingham Road/ Western Road junctions and the re-surfacing of Western Road in late August 2013, and will last for approximately 8 weeks.
Once these works are complete, works will begin on the new signalised junction on Alcester Road and will last for approximately 22 weeks. The planned completion date is early in 2014.
Restrictions on working times
The Contractors must maintain two way traffic flow at all times between 7.30am and 9.30am and 4.00pm-6pm and are not generally permitted to use single file traffic controls during peak times. There will be no works on the public highway over the Christmas period. Construction activities which constrict traffic flow will not be permitted during December 2013.
Station Road is being converted into a cycle way so this will be a permanent closer.
Overnight working may be considered in order to reduce disruption to traffic during the day but no decisions have been made on this.
A cable will need to be laid along Arden Street.
How can I avoid delays?
Diversion routes will be signposted as appropriate and information is being made available so as to ensure people can plan their journeys to avoid delays if at all possible. We recognise that this may not be possible or easy but if you can work flexibly or travel outside peak times this will help.
Use of the Park and Ride and Stratford Parkway will be promoted in order to try to reduce the number of cars on the road. For more information on the Park and Ride go to www.warwickshire.gov.uk/stratfordparkandride and for the Parkway go to www.stratfordparkway.co.uk
Who should I contact if I am still not happy or have further questions?
The County Council’s Customer Service Centre is open from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 4pm on Saturdays. Call 01926 412515
The contractors for the scheme are Danaher & Walsh and they have a 24 hour helpline. Call 0116 2695 900
Redrow Homes, who will be building the new homes on the site, can be contacted Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm by calling 01827 289695
The County Council apologises for any inconvenience these works may cause and will do their best to ensure road and rail users have the information they need to plan their journeys to avoid delays as far as is possible.